As Albertans, we need to get our resources to market, to be sold for the best price possible. Without that ability, it has been an extremely difficult time for many Calgary businesses, workers and families.
Decades of decisions and government inaction have led to the current situation. We know the solution is to get pipelines built – and that is our priority.
That’s why we approved the Enbridge Line 3 project (currently under construction) and continue to advocate for Keystone XL.
That’s why we purchased the Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion (TMX) – a $4.5 billion investment in our future. The enhanced consultations we’re currently doing with Indigenous groups are important both for ensuring the project is done the right way, and for demonstrating to the court that we’ve taken the appropriate steps, so the court will allow the project to move forward.
Today, our Government is proud to build on our track record. By announcing more than $1.6 billion to support workers and their families, foster competitiveness, and improve the long-term environmental performance of the industry. pic.twitter.com/S0ENfD1drP
— Amarjeet Sohi (@SohiAmarjeet) December 18, 2018
This week, we announced $1.6 billion in additional support to help Alberta businesses and workers. Our #1 priority is to get pipelines built, but while we continue that critical work, we are also:
- Helping producers build up refining and partial upgrading capacity here in Canada.
- Opening up new rail efficiencies for crude through rail infrastructure improvements.
- Giving businesses huge tax incentives to invest in their companies and create jobs.
- Providing $1 billion in commercial financial support from Export Development Canada to assist companies looking to invest in innovative technologies, address working capital needs, or explore new markets.
- Making loans available to help viable small businesses weather the current market.
- Investing $50 million in oil and gas projects through the Clean Growth Program – projected to generate $890 million in investment.
- Continuing to invest in economic diversification.
These additional efforts will help our energy sector to manage cash flow, diversify, invest in new technologies, and more.
But make no mistake, we know the long term solution is pipelines, and we are committed to getting them built.
Want to stay up to date? Sign up for email updates from Kent below: